When I first heard about Jessica of Jahmu Chai’s tea meditations, I was stoked. Making time for a cup of tea is about as close as I seem to get to meditating these days. Apparently, I’m not the only one. Jess has found a way to take this sacred time and turn it into an even more powerful ritual of intention and peace through the Tea Meditation Project. Below, she explains how it works, and offers a tea meditation that you can start with right now.
Our favorite way to practice these meditations are with Jessica’s own Jahmu Chai. (I put mine in my coffee!) Get a 10% discount on your order of any Jahmu tea by using coupon code MINDKEY at checkout.
Article by Jessica Filkins
Do you make time to meditate every morning? Do you drink tea or coffee? If your answer is “no” and “yes” then tea meditations may be for you. The idea behind Tea Meditations is to turn the routine habit of drinking beverages into a ritual or meditation. Guided Tea Meditations can be practiced while drinking a beverage of one’s choice, and they promote mindfulness through connecting with the intention of your actions.
The Tea Meditation Project is based on the idea that bringing awareness and intention to your morning tea, coffee or other warm beverage will help you to be more present and mindful during other activities throughout the day. This may correlate with making better food choices and finding deeper enjoyment in daily life.
Despite the growing body of scientific studies proving the physical and mental health benefits of meditation, most people in the US do not take the time to meditate every day. However, most of do drink coffee, tea or at least water every single morning. This habit can easily be transformed into a powerful ritual though the practice of tea mediations.
The Tea Meditation Project will soon offer an free app with in-app purchase options of professionally recorded guided tea meditations. These meditations will be led by variety of yoga teachers and healers and will have resonate background music. Each recording will have a different focus, for example: heal your tummy, manifest abundance, clear your mind, let go of fear, balance your chakras, etc.
You can get a sneak peek as some of Jessica’s original tea meditations on the website or the Facebook page . Jessica hopes that the Tea Meditation Project will bring love, light, health and happiness to everyone who chooses to practice.
Try this tea meditation on you own!
- Make a cup of tea (or warm water with lemon)
- Sit in a peaceful place
- Take a few moments to ground yourself, become aware of the thoughts in your mind and the feelings in your body and connect with your breath.
- Bring your awareness to your cup of tea and notice the warmth, the smell, and the feeling it emits.
- Set an intention for drinking this cup of tea. Are you drinking it to improve your health, to enjoy the taste, to calm you mind? You can even get creative and imagine this tea is a magical elixir that can transform you in any way you desire
- For your first sip or two, just pay attention to the feelings and sensations of the warm liquid in your mouth and notice it passing down your throat into your stomach as if you were drinking liquid sunshine.
- For you next three sips think of three things you are grateful for in your life. Feel the gratitude with each sip.
- For you next three sips think of three things you would like to happen today and imagine those experience occurring with every sip. For example what would make today great? Maybe imagine yourself finishing a project you want to complete, getting a flattering compliment, doing a fun activity with a friend, or finishing a good workout or yoga class.
- For the next three (or more) sips do a “I am …” affirmation with each sip. For example: I am healthy, I am focused, I am beautiful, I am wealthy I am graceful…etc. Really feel each sip bringing the energy of the affirmation into you body and feel it radiating out from your belly.
- As you finish your tea, come back to any of these positive feelings or thoughts. Imagine that tea inside your belly will attract these desired events to you throughout the day. Feel full of gratitude, love, and light.