Celebrate spring with a labyrinth walk
by Cris McCullough, Certified Labyrinth Facilitator
Spring equinox is a yearly astrological event which occurs when day and night are of equal length, this year occurring at around noon (EDT) on March 20th. A labyrinth spring renewal ritual is an easy, mindful and simple meditative way to bring intention and hope into the coming season. Traditionally the spring equinox has focused on prosperity and thanksgiving for new growth and new opportunities. After a two year world hiatus due to Covid, I think we could all use a little hope. Walking a labyrinth, alone or with a group, is a beautiful way to affirm a return to the positive in your world.
Your personal labyrinth spring renewal ritual
Ritual is a way to keep us mindful, focused and in the present time, the present moment. The ritual act of engaging our senses through touch, smell, sight and hearing serves to give our intentions more substance.
One way to practice a renewal ritual is by going out in nature to gather green foliage and seasonal flowers native to your area to decorate your labyrinth. Your labyrinth spring renewal ritual may include “magical” herbs to intensify your intentions. Try basil for increased money or prosperity, chamomile for healing and peppermint for improved relationships. You could create a little altar in the center of your labyrinth and set these tokens on them. This is ideal if the labyrinth is not on your property.
Other items that can be used are traditional springtime symbols of the rabbit and the egg. The egg has always been a symbol of rebirth and hope. Add a colorful candle or maybe a picture or figurine of a rabbit, which is considered a symbol of good luck and fertility. These items act as physical reminders to keep us focused on our intentions or renewal and rebirth. Feel free to adjust the symbols and items to best define your intentions and needs for your labyrinth spring renewal ritual.
Finding your labyrinth
Finding a friendly place to conduct labyrinth spring renewal ritual can be difficult if you don’t know where to start. Luckily, this world-wide labyrinth locator is an easy tool for locating labyrinths that are available for public use. Since the 1991 publication of her landmark book, Walking the Sacred Path, the Rev. Lauren Artress has become a leader in a worldwide labyrinth revival. Since that time, labyrinths as a tool of healing and renewal have cropped up in churches, schools, retreat centers, as well as spas, parks and even back yards.
One place you can go to find labyrinth events listed is www.Veriditas.org. You may find a labyrinth event for the spring equinox being held near you. You can also make your own labyrinth for a labyrinth spring renewal ritual by drawing a simple spiral in the sand on a beach or in the earth, or with chalk on your driveway. Use your imagination!
Gather power with your personal touch
Now that you have your touchstones and have created or found your labyrinth, you may choose to gather some friends, or go it alone. Whatever you choose, next comes the fun part!
These are a few suggestions for creating your walk, but by all means be creative and make it yours!
- Write down 5 or more intentions around the themes of prosperity, growth, fertility and renewal that you want to see in your life in the coming year. Ancient lore has it that the intentions you “plant” now will come to fruition by the Autumnal Equinox.
- Set up your “altar” in the center of the labyrinth. Put two candles on the altar, and have matches handy along with a fireproof container or ashtray. Scatter your greens, herbs and flowers or arrange a pretty bouquet. Decorate with pretty pictures or tokens of spring. Place your eggs at different turning points in your labyrinth. Perhaps you will have as many eggs as you have intentions. Think of each egg having the potential to “hatch” into your perfect vision.
- Engage your senses and address the elements! Smudge with aromatic herbs to cleanse yourself of negativity. Play beautiful music or allow sounds of nature, or delicious silence to enfold you. Be at one with your intentions and write them down.
- Start at the beginning of your labyrinth and mindfully begin your walk to the center. Gather your eggs as you proceed. Be mindful of the sounds and thoughts and feelings that gather around you as you get closer to the center.
- Once in the center and facing your altar, light the candles and invoke the transformative energy of spring by reading a poem, speaking a few words from your heart or singing a song. One by one, place your eggs on the altar “naming” each one with an intention. Stay for a moment. Feel the energy fill you up.
- When you are ready, turn around and follow the path back to the beginning, letting go of any negativity or obstacles you may still be holding.
When it comes to a labyrinth spring renewal ritual, there is only one way in and one way out. Watch your intentions blossom as we move towards the autumn equinox in September. Stay tuned for more on labyrinths next week in an upcoming post in our RENEWAL issue of The Daily Key. Sign up for our newsletter to get notified of new posts on a weekly basis. Blessings!
Kat WMarch 27, 2022 at 7:53 am
This is so cool! I didn’t even think about moving forward to the autumn equinox, very connective, awesome!
Danielle RoseApril 4, 2022 at 1:33 pm
Thank you Kat, we’re so glad you enjoyed it! Hope to see a ritual article from you one of these days 🙂